IRVINE, Calif., May 18, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — The all-new 2022 Kia EV6 crossover arrives as the brand’s first dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV). The introduction of EV6 signals the U.S. launch of Kia’s ‘Plan S’ strategy that will deliver 11 all-new electrified models across the world by 2026.
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8801253-kia-ev6-crossover-new-era-electric-driving-excitement/
Starting with the EV6, Kia’s EV lineup will carry a unique naming convention. The «EV» designation will be followed by a number that indicates the car’s position in the lineup.
The E-GMP modular platform maximizes development efficiency and enables the Kia brand to expand its dedicated EV portfolio across multiple vehicle segments – sedans, CUVs, SUVs – in a short time and with minimal complexity. The architecture provides an adaptable foundation with a long wheelbase and wide stance.
The EV6’s proportions unify Kia’s all-new «Opposites United» design language and deliver crossover functionality. The visual language combines classic sports car inspiration with high-tech cues, modern CUV styling and a coupe-like profile. The EV6 has the same 114.2-inch wheelbase as the Kia Telluride, and compares with the width of a Ford Mustang Mach E and the wheelbase and ground clearance of a Tesla Model Y.
The EV platform also enables jaw-dropping performance, AWD capability, ultra-fast charging times. The vehicle delivers up to an estimated 300-miles of all-electric range (AER), vehicle-to-load (V2L) functionality, and a flat-floor interior that utilizes sustainable materials throughout the cabin. The EV6 also offers a wide array of advanced driver assistance systems, adding an unprecedented level of connectivity and safety.
«The EV6 marks a new and transformative era in Kia electrification,» said Sean Yoon, president & CEO, Kia North America, Kia America. «This innovative crossover leverages the many benefits of its advanced platform to offer a level of technological excitement and convenience that will provide a superb ownership experience.»
The first EV6 models are expected to go on sale in early 2022 in all 50 states with the GT arriving in late 2022.
EV6 First Edition
In a first for the brand, Kia will offer a special EV6 First Edition available by advanced reservation at Kia.com starting June 3. Limited to just 1,500 units, the EV6 First Edition offers the styling of the standard design, which includes exterior details such as black wheel arches in a fully loaded package. The Augmented Reality (AR) Head-Up Display, Remote Smart Parking Assist, wide sunroof, 20-inch wheels, premium 14-speaker Meridian audio system and a two-year subscription to SiriusXM7 are among the upgrades in the EV6 First Edition, along with dual-motor AWD and a 77.4 kWh battery.
Three unique color combinations include Glacier with dark green seats, Urban Yellow with black seats, and Steel Gray Matte with black seats. The First Edition will be the only way to get the look of the Steel Matte Gray paint on an EV6 with the standard design while the Urban Yellow exterior color will be exclusive to the First Edition. Completing the aesthetic are illuminated door sills with the First Edition designation, along with a numbered interior badge highlighting the limited production volume.
‘Opposites United’ CUV Design
Imagined, penned, and brought to life by Kia’s three design studios in Seoul, Frankfurt and Irvine, California, the EV6 crossover is a worldwide collaboration inspired by a new design philosophy called ‘Opposites United,’ which takes its cues and inspirations from the contrasts found in nature and everyday life. Key design elements include:
- «Digital Tiger» grille form serves as Kia’s new tiger nose design
- Headlamps offer sequential dynamic light pattern
- Flush exterior door handles
- High rear deck serves as a spoiler
- Cross-car rear light cluster
- Wheel sizes will be available in 19, 20 or 21-inches
A Foundation for the Electric Age
E-GMP serves as the core technology for the next generation of Kia EVs. Highlights include:
- Rear-wheel-biased; available AWD capability with front electric motor
- Strong body structure utilizing 75 percent high-strength steel (HSS) and ultra-high strength steel (UHSS)
- Five-link rear suspension
- World’s first mass-produced integrated drive axle (IDA) to enhance ride comfort and handling, combining wheel bearings with the drive shaft to save weight
- A long wheelbase and short overhangs maximize interior space with flat floor, no tunnel layout
- Underfloor mounted battery placement enables low center of gravity for stability
Battery Tech for Superb Performance, Extended Range, Fast Charging and Innovative V2L
At the heart of EV6 is an energy-dense Nickel-Cobalt-Manganese (80/10/10) battery pack available in two sizes: 58.0 kWh and 77.4 kWh. The low-mounted, underfloor pack delivers energy to both RWD and AWD electric motor layouts with varying horsepower at the front and rear axles. AWD gives EV6 the traction and capability befitting a CUV.
EV6 offers up to 576 horsepower and an extended AER up to a targeted 300 miles across several configurations (AER for specific drivetrain configurations will be announced closer to the EV6’s on-sale date):
- RWD: 58.0 kWh battery with a 160kW rear motor yields 167 horsepower
- RWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 160kW rear motor yields 218 horsepower
- AWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 70kW front motor and a 160kW rear motor yields 313 horsepower
- Estimated zero-to-60 performance in 5.1 seconds
- AWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 160kW front motor and a 270kW rear motor yields 576 horsepower (GT)
- Estimated zero-to-60 mph performance in less than 3.5 seconds
- Not available until late 2022
Beyond its impressive power and range, the EV6’s advanced battery system enables the convenience of ultra-fast charging with the following features and capabilities:
- World’s first patented multi-charging system supporting 400v and 800v DC charging, which works on DC chargers with speeds ranging from 50kW to 350kW
- 800v DC fast charging from a 350-kW charger allows:
- Nearly 70 miles added in less than 5 minutes
- Up to 210-miles (10-to-80 percent) added in under 18 minutes
- 11kW on-board charger (OBC) for Level 2 recharging from 10-to-100 percent in 7 hours, 10 minutes (240v AC, at 40-amps) for the larger 77.4 kWh battery versions
Innovative Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) functionality makes EV6 a power source on wheels to support everything from computers to home improvement projects to camping and tailgating. Electricity flows from the high-energy battery to an Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU), providing 1900 watts of power to electrical appliances, devices, tools and recreational equipment. The system highlights include:
- 110V power outlet located in a socket on front of second row seat base; adapter to draw power from the external charge port
- From a full charge, power can be drawn from the vehicle for 36 or more consecutive hours8
- EV6 is able to charge vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) at 1.1 kW, equivalent to a 110V charger
Sustainable, Spacious, Tech-Savvy Cabin
The EV6 offers a modern and eco-friendly cabin with a spacious, flat floor design. Standard and available interior highlights include:
- Extensive use of recycled plastic throughout interior
- 100% vegan leather surfaces on some trims
- 100% LED lighting inside and out
- Slim front seats
- Thin seat frames use ultra-light «giga-steel» to maximize rear seat space/knee room due to a slim seat back design
- 27.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind 60/40 split-folding second row; 53.5 cubic feet of cargo space with second row folded down
- Hands-free Smart Power Tailgate for easier cargo access
- Additional storage space for small items in front trunk (frunk)
The EV6 offers a wide array of standard and available technology features, including:
- Panoramic dual integrated 12-inch TFT center cluster and infotainment screens that form a wide, horizontal, curved display extending across the instrument panel
- Blue light-filtered screens to reduce eye strain and fatigue
- Augmented Reality9 (AR) Head-Up Display (HUD) system projects graphics from the base of the windshield in a large three-dimensional image that appears to be over the hood of the car
- Provides speed and Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) alerts, vehicle information, lane guidance and turn-by-turn navigation instructions
- Bluetooth10 functionality
- Wireless smartphone charging11
- Meridian Premium Audio system
- 14 speakers with titanium dome for an immersive and rich audio experience
- Intelli Q technology corrects audio volume/sound quality according to vehicle speed change
- UVO link connected vehicle experience:
- Kia Pay: Enjoy an in-car commerce experience. Allows the user to transact conveniently from inside the vehicle with a growing number of merchants and popular outlets
- Available Add-On customer convenience Map and Infotainment Over-The-Air (OTA) capability
- Available Wi-Fi Hotspot: Allows customers to connect their personal devices and enjoy streaming
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery: Peace of mind for owners with the capability to assist law enforcement agencies to recover a stolen vehicle
- Connected Routing: Uses the cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
- Smartwatch accessibility: Provides battery status, vehicle notifications and certain vehicle control through Apple and Android smartwatches
- Connected Weather: Provides weather information for more than 25,000 cities
- Enhanced voice assist feature allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions
- Smart Speaker Integration: Lets customers use Amazon-Alexa or Google-Assistant enabled smart speaker or device to remotely control certain vehicle functions, such as remote start
- 911 Connect and Roadside Assistance: Automatically calls 911 via the built-in modem if an airbag deploys. For non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assistance and share the vehicle’s location
- On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor: Uses the vehicle cameras to capture images of the vehicle’s surroundings and then displays them in the UVO link App or Portal
- Last Mile Navigation: Provides walking directions to the driver’s actual destination if the vehicle is parked between 0.1 and 1.2 miles away
- Integrates owner’s personal calendar and shows calendar events in the navigation system
The EV6 also offers a roster of standard and available features that enhance safety and convenience:
- Surround View Monitor (SVM): Utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations
- Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist-Reverse (PCA-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected and will automatically assist with emergency braking if there is a risk of collision
- Rear Occupant Alert (ROA)12: Upon exiting, the vehicle provides a reminder to check for unattended passengers that may remain in the rear seating area
- Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA): Allows remote parking or exiting a parking spot with the driver operating the EV6 from outside the vehicle
- Safe Exit Assist (SEA)13: Audibly alerts the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. The system can intervene to lock the rear doors when the vehicle is equipped with available Power Child Lock
The Safety of Advanced Driver Assistance
As part of Kia’s overall commitment to safety, the EV6 has a comprehensive list of 21 standard active Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)5 including:
- Blind-Spot Avoidance Assist (BCA): Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)14: Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): Assists the driver when braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle is detected in front. Uses automatic braking to avoid or mitigate an impact
- Other standard iterations of FCA include FCA-Ped (Pedestrian), FCA-LS (Land-Change Side), FCA-LO (Lane-Change Oncoming), FCA-JC (Junction Crossing), FCA-JT (Junction Turning)
- High Beam Assist (HBA): Detects oncoming traffic and automatically switches off the high beam headlights then turns them on once traffic has passed
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA 2)15: This system is the evolution of HDA, which is a driving convenience system that keeps a set distance from a car in front and centers the vehicle in the lane. HDA2 will additionally assist with lane changes and adjust the lateral position of the car within the lane
- ISLA (Intelligent Speed Limit Assist): Recognizes signs and provides relevant feedback in the cluster and augmented-reality head-up display (AR HUD)
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves in the road
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Helps detect most approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies the brakes
Kia America – about us
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands. Kia serves as the «Official Automotive Partner» of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of more than 750 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in America.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
*The Telluride, Sorento and K5 are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
1 Charge time based on Kia Motors Corporation testing with SAE J1772 charger. Actual charge time may vary.
2 EPA certified range unavailable at time of printing and is expected late 2021. Targeted range based on expected certification results for at least one available option. Your mileage will vary and depends on a number of factors, including battery age, ambient temperature, driving habits, options, cargo and others. After certification, results will be available at Fueleconomy.gov.
3 Based on internal testing of a pre-production vehicle.
4 0-60 claim based on vehicle testing for GT trim only.
5 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
6 Augmented reality heads up display is available on select trims. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
7 SiriusXM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
8 V2L can be used until the battery’s charge falls to 10 percent. The 36 consecutive hours is only if the maximum 1,900 watts is being drawn from the vehicle and the battery starts at a 100% charge; power can be drawn for even longer if the wattage needed is lower.
9 Augmented reality heads up display is available on select trims. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
10 The Bluetooth word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG Inc., and any use of such marks by Kia is pursuant to license. A Bluetooth enabled device is required to use Bluetooth wireless technology.
11 Charging system only works with select devices. Refer to the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual for warnings and instructions.
12 Rear Occupant Alert is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all movement within the vehicle. Always check the vehicle interior when exiting the vehicle.
13 Safe Exit Assist is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all objects surrounding the vehicle. Always pay attention to traffic and to the area around your vehicle when exiting the vehicle.
14 Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving and may not all instances of driver fatigue or inattentive driving practices. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
15 Highway Driving Assist is not a substitute for safe driving, may not detect all objects around the vehicle, and only functions on certain federal highways. Always drive safely and use caution.
SOURCE Kia America